Wednesday, December 20, 2017

veronxtravel : Hong Kong Day 1

Hi readers, I guess it took me long enough to finally sit down and craft out this post. I have been really busy with my hall netball especially inter-hall games are coming up. I'm really stressful during this period of time. However, due to the morning softball match tomorrow, I'm all alone in hall today and I thought okay I might as well take the time to sort out my photos and update the blog. So this time round, I'm off to.. HONG KONG! Its my first time been to Hong Kong, so I was actually quite excited. I'm up to explore any new places anytime man. I thought that Hong Kong would very much be similar to Taipei since I have already been to Taipei twice. But I swear Hong Kong is such a fast paced city, everyone is just rushing here and there. They even rush when they are having their meals, oh god. It got so bad to a point I just told my friend that I will not care anymore and I will take my own sweet time to finish up my meal. So now, I will be posting pictures taken by my Canon 750D.


Once we landed, we took the airport express bus (N21) called the cityflyer. It is about SGD$6 per trip per person. It is cheaper than taking the airport express train which cost HKD$100 per trip per person, which is like SGD$20?! That is crazy man. You would have to buy a special ticket for that as well, normal octopus card cannot be used for airport staion. Oh, their ezlink card is called the octopus card. The octopus card can be bought at the airport for HKD$150 with $100 credit inside and they will refund HKD$50 when you trade in your card later on when you are leaving Hong Kong. I would recommend everyone to get the octopus card if you planned to travel by their public transport which is highly recommended since it is very conveninent.


Our apartment resides in Temple Street, where the temple street night market happen every night, so its shopping everyday! Yay! Oh, fyi Temple Street is at Jordan, the nearest MTR station is called Jordan as well which is around 5 mins walk to the station.






These few pictures shows the streets of Jordan. I did not take pictures of our apartment because our apartment is VERY small. Its almost the size of the Singapore's one room flat. There are no rooms at all it is basically like a studio apartment. I must say, I really cannot tahan the toilet cause it is SO SMALL. I think you can only rotate your body, you cannot even move an inch after you closed the door. I have heard about small apartments in Hong Kong, but I totally did not expect that. However, I guess if you are going to Hong Kong and not on a budget trip, the best is to book a hotel room instead.


There are many these kinds of herbal tea shops there which we used to see it a lot in Singapore. But I cannot seem to find them anymore. It is where you drink from a bowl on the spot after you paid for it after selecting the kind of herbal tea you want.


So after we landed, we were starving. We went into this Hong Kong Cafe near our place and I swear the food was so bad that I did not even bother taking a picture of it. One thing about the food in Hong Kong is that it is sooooooooooo expensive! So from the picture $34 is like the cheapest in the menu and its is about SGD$7. It is so expensive! Furthermore, it does not taste good at all. I mean like, I could get a meal in Singapore for $7 including a drink.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that there are no such thing as kopitiam or even hawker centre in Hong Kong. Its either 茶餐厅 (tea cafe) or restaurants, thats all. Of course, we opted for the cheaper options. So, you can guess all our meals are almost this price range. (heartbreak)


We had a dessert as well. Its the black sesame with rice balls. I LOVE RICE BALLS. Omg. But I don't usually had black sesame. I think it is very thick and abit too sweet. Kinda glad that I shared it with my friend, we managed to finished everything. I think it is about SGD$4.

After spending the whole afternoon to evening exploring Jordan, which is nearby our area, we decided to take their MTR (which is our MRT haha) over to Mongkok. Mongkok is where the youngsters are, it is almost like our Bugis Street. I'm particularly excited to go to the Fa Yuen Street where they also call it the sneakers street. Anywhere with sneakers, I'm in!

And I forgot to mention, if you're near Mongkok, do visit their ladies market as well. I think personally felt that all the night markets are sooo expensive like they marked up the prices since it is kinda a tourist attraction. I did not get anything but I think if you're not on a budget like me, you would really enjoy it there. Also, it is good la to go and experience the ambience. I really love the pasar malam feels. Hehe. Last but not least, if you're getting anything from the night market, always always ALWAYS BARGAIN. Due to the marked up prices I think even if you negotiate about $20 less they will also accept. Another tip is that if they don't agree to the price that your quote, WALK AWAY. They will always try to make you stay by quoting a lower price. If not, continue walking down and you will probably find the same thing in other stalls and you might want to compare their prices. They actually have a few stalls selling the same thing so do not rush to get it once you saw something that you like. I would suggest walking till the end first and then go back for the cheapest price quoted if you're kiasu like me.



This is how their MTR station look like. Basically it is the same as Singapore's. It is really easy to navigate if you understand English or Chinese. It also very easy even if you are required to change line.



Look at the huge Adidas Originals store! My heart screamed. I think I entered almost every Adidas and Nike shops that we have came across. Sorry, my love for shoes or rather sneakers will never fade.



Then while walking, we saw a huge crowd of people standing on the streets so being the kiasu Singaporeans we are, we had to stop and see what's going on. Then we realised that there are a few photographers they are actually setting up a photobooth in the middle of the street. I guess the commotion is about the group of cheerleaders wanting to take a photo and passerbys stop to watch cause they are cheerleaders. Well, their outfits are ... well, outstanding. Then I was just kiddingly joke that I can also open a photobooth since I was holding on to my DSLR. HAHAHA. 



After which, we came across this mega huge H&M store. We had to go and check it out. I mean, when do you see H&M HOME COLLECTION? RIGHT?! Yes, I know ZARA actually have a ZARA HOME but it is not available in Singapore. But I did not know there is actually a H&M HOME. Furthermore, they just launched their makeup line not long ago.

So this H&M store have 3 storeys and it is super spacious. After browsing through I realised that their collections are almost the same in Singapore's. But their winter wear are on sale, which mostly consists of sweaters, wool jacket and thick padded coats. I would love to get 'em but... I'm scared that my luggage will be overweight and my mom will probably be like when will you get to wear them in Singapore?! Sigh. Oh, and one more thing, their prices are almost the same as Singapore's, so we didn't get anything. Well... not worth our luggage space ya.


Our night came to an end after having some supper in Mongkok. So my friend ordered this beef noodle from a random stall which we saw had a lot of people in it. As I have mentioned earlier, I swear eating in Hong Kong is like a participating in a fast eating competition. Once you finished, they will straight away come and clear your bowl so by hook or crook, you have to leave after you're done. Another thing is that, they are very particular about paying after you have finished eating. Normally in Singapore, we order and pay before we get our food right. But in Hong Kong, you have to order first, then pay after you have finished eating.

Oh, and btw the noodle is actually quite good. It is so much better than what we had at the Hong Kong cafe in the afternoon. So we were quite satisfied hehe.


And this, I must say, THIS IS SO GOOD! I actually have no idea what is this though. It is abit like Churros. But this harder than churros, crispy I would say. It is almost like a biscuit. And you're supposed to choose the fillings flavour. I went with the original one which I think is milk flavoured. And it is SO GOOD. It costs about SGD$4 and I think its quite reasonable, I mean if you find it in Singapore it would probably be one of those 'hipster food' that are deemed as overpriced. LOL.

They actually have like durian, chocolate and matcha flavour as well. The filling is actually cold so it is almost like ice cream in a biscuit. You should give it a try if you're around the area.


This is how temple street looks like at night. The sun sets very early in Hong Kong. The sky is almost dark at around 6pm which I always thought its already 8pm. Even though there are no time difference. HAHA. So we went back to walk around the temple street night market before heading home. I didn't really bought anything on the first day, cause I wanted to save it for Shenzhen, hehe heard there are a lot of cheap clothes there. Well, that would be for another post. So, do stay tune! This will be the end of Hong Kong Day 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment